From a fellow competitor this was a really nicely thought out game and criteria solutions were cool. :)
A Snapshot in Scarlet
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
A Snapshot in Scarlet is an exploration-puzzle game set inside of a carnival. You are a ghost detective and your goal is to solve an ancient missing persons case so that the ghosts involved can move onto the afterlife. It is believed that the person was murdered, but no body was found.
You are aided by your special memory gloves. When the gloves make contact with a bare forehead, you are gifted with a snapshot of the persons memory. Convince the carnival attendees to expose their foreheads and unlock the secrets to the century old mystery!
Made for the JamDNA #16 within 96 hours
- W,A,S,D to move the main character around.
- Scroll wheel is used to switch between items in your hands, you must hover over the specific hand to switch items in that hand.
- Left Mouse Button uses the equipped item, in the left hand, on whatever you have clicked on.
- Right Mouse Button uses the equipped item, in the right hand, on whatever you have clicked on.
- i Button is used to open and close the detective menu - the ESCAPE Key can also close this menu.
- You can quit the game mid play by accessing the detective menu and pressing the EXIT GAME button in the bottom right corner of the book.
Game Jam Criteria:
- I have tried to convey a ghostly atmosphere in the game. Instead of transitioning between scenes, when the player approaches something that they can interact with, a ghostly image of the object appears before them, getting more clear as they get closer. Everything is varying levels of transparency and all characters have a creepy vibe to them through the art style. All of this helps to add towards the atmosphere of the game. The game is also a blend between an exploration and a point and click.
- The game is set inside of a carnival, there is a carnival monkey, clowns, strongmen, old time freak-show members, carnival games etc.
- The main character can acquire snapshots of people's memories by slapping them on the bare forehead - that's one strong slap!
- Eerie Music
- The game features creepy carnival music - which has an eerie vibe. As the game progresses, the pitch of the music shifts to make it even more eerie.
Follow me for gamedev stuff on Twitter over at: https://twitter.com/RobThomasWhite
or on Instagram at: https://www.instagram.com/robwhitedeveloper/
CREDITS / DISCLAIMER (The assets listed below were not created by me, everything else was):
One public domain music track (main theme song):
"Tenebrous Brothers Carnival - Act One" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
One rain sound effect, licenced under Creative Commons 0:
Click download now to get access to the following files: